What’s Happening This Week
at Crystal Springs?
Week of February 24th, 2020
School Hours 9:30 am– 4:00 pm
Early Release Wednesday 9:30 am – 2:30 pm
Scholastic Book Fair - Mon., 3/2/2020 - Fri., 3/6/2020
- Currrent dates
- Important Updates
- Looking Ahead
- Every Moment Matters
- Important Safety Reminders
- Important Update About Lost & Found
- PBIS at Crystal Springs
- School Delayed or Closed
- Newsletter Links
NEW Online Student Registration for the 2020-2021 School Year
The launch on Feb 3 is for new students only for the 2020-2021. This includes Kindergartners and new students in other grades.
The District is moving to online as the primary method of enrolling to increase convenience, efficiency and equity. It is our goal to have all new enrollments completed online. Online enrollment can be completed on any internet-enabled device. However, if a family is unable to do so, they will be able to access a laptop or other device at their neighborhood school. They will also be permitted to complete the paper enrollment forms if requested.
The online enrollment module is part of ParentVUE, so families will have the benefit of choosing their preferred language in the presentation of the prompts and data gathering. However, any text responses in this tool need to be in English.
Online enrollment will allow families to scan and upload copies of a variety of documents, including birth certificates, documents showing proof of residency, and immunization records. Synergy’s data privacy policies are vetted and secure, so there should be no concern about loss of sensitive data. However, they may bring in documentation if preferred.
Families can begin the process by visiting
Scholastic Book Fair March 2nd – March 6th
Support the Crystal Springs Library, Volunteer at the Book Fair!
The Crystal Springs Library needs your help to make the Scholastic Book Fair a success. Volunteers are needed to set up the book fair, cashier, assist students during the book fair, and pack up the book fair. Book Fair volunteers will be invited to a volunteer-only sale and will receive a $5 gift certificate to spend at the book fair.
Sign up to volunteer at the book fair using the link below or by contacting Mrs. Weber, email@example.com or 425-408-4312.
Book Fair Volunteer Sign UP @ https://bit.ly/csbooks20
**February 17-21, 2020 ….. MID-WINTER BREAK, NO SCHOOL**
Please join Crystal Springs PTA Facebook Page to keep updated on current/upcoming events and much more that is happening at Crystal Springs Elementary.
EVERY MOMENT MATTERS
Every moment matters at Crystal Springs. We are excited to have Parent/ Teacher Conferences coming up. Here are some questions that can help guide your discussion with your child's teacher:
1. Is my child performing on grade level in math and language arts?
2. Are there behaviors you see at school (both good and bad) that you think I might not be seeing at home?
3. What subject area is emerging as my child’s strongest this year? What subject area still needs more progress?
4. I know grades don’t tell the whole story. Is my student giving his or her best effort?
5. How can I encourage age-appropriate accountability at home to support what you are doing in class?
6. What are you observing in regards to my child’s organization skills? How can I encourage them to be more organized without doing it for them?
Important Safety Reminders
Please remember to sign in at the office and get a visitor sticker whenever you are on campus. This is required by all NSD schools, No exceptions.
Parent Pick-Up is in the NORTH parking lot only; NOT in front of the South Portables or anywhere else on campus. Students are not to play out by the sidewalks…this is not a “recess” area. They can go to the field for before school recess starting at 9:10 am when we have supervision.
When walking across the very busy street in front of the school, we need everyone to use the crosswalk. Traffic is automatically stopped for pedestrians at the crosswalk. Other cars are having to stop to avoid hitting someone because parents are darting across the street with their children 😳 before and after school.
Thank you for helping to keep your child safe before, during and after school.
● Change in After School Plans? Please remember, any changes in your student's means of after school transportation (i.e. walking, bus, or parent pick-up) and/or destination must be validated by a note from you as the parent/guardian. You can also email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
● Not coming to school or extended absence’s? Please make sure to notify the office by 9:30 am, 425-408-4310 or email@example.com, for daily absences. if your student has plans to be out of school for 3 or more consecutive days, please fill out a “Request for Excused Absence” form, required by the district. See form below.
● Per district policy: Families must contact the school with the reason for a student absence within two days of the absence, or it will remain unexcused. After two days, unexcused absences cannot be changed to excused. Three unexcused absences trigger truancy procedures. For more information on reporting an absence, or on the district truancy policies, please see our school or district website.
PBIS AT CRYSTAL SPRINGS
Did you know that Crystal Springs is considered a PBIS school? What is PBIS? PBIS stands for Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports. This means that we are working together as a whole school to better support your children by teaching and encouraging respectful, responsible, and safe behaviors. One way that we do this is by teaching “The Roadrunner Way”. Roadrunners are safe, respectful, and responsible. These are the three pillars of our PBIS program.
We have a “Climate Committee” that meets two times per month. This committee is made up of teachers, staff, our school counselor, and administrators. Our mission is to provide a positive, safe, healthy, nurturing and respectful environment in which all students have the opportunity to become productive members of society. We provide this through:
1. Development of clearly defined and consistent student expectations and accountabilities.
2. On-going teaching and modeling of expectations.
3. Educationally sound methods that foster student character, safety, academic excellence and individual citizenship.
As a parent, you can help us by encouraging the same behaviors at home and being involved in your child’s education here at Crystal Springs. We would love to have a parent join our climate committee and attend one meeting per month to collaborate with us as we work together to meet the needs of all children at Crystal Springs. Please email Anne Nielsen at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
School Delayed or Closed
Find out starting at approx. 6:00 am:
Check the NSD Home Page https://www1.nsd.org
Call NSD Information Line, 425-408-6001
Check Local Radio and TV Stations
Call Crystal Springs, 425-408-4300, Press 9
As we head toward winter and the potential for inclement weather, it is important to make sure your family’s contact information is current. Families can verify contact information in ParentVUE. Please contact Crystal Springs Office if you need help accessing ParentVUE or updating contact information.
Find out starting at approx. 5:00 am:
• Check the NSD Home Page https://www1.nsd.org
• Call NSD Information Line, 425-408-6001
• Check Local Radio and TV Stations
• Call Crystal Springs, 425-408-4300, Press 9
Emergency and weather-related problems can alter school schedules and affect bus transportation for students.
The district uses an automated message system to quickly send alerts to families. In the event of a school or district emergency, the district will contact families and staff using one or more of the following options: phone call, text message, email and/or push notification. In addition, the district will provide emergency information via web postings, recorded information lines and social media postings. Early morning notifications will be sent as early as 6 a.m., if possible.
If no schedule changes are posted, schools and buses are operating on normal schedules.
Notifications will only work if your contact information is current in the student records system. Please update your contact information annually with your student's school. You may also download our mobile app. Instructions are available on our mobile app page.
FIND OUT IMMEDIATELY
Here are ways to find out if schools will be delayed or closed:
- local radio and television stations provide district/school information on a continuing basis beginning around 5 a.m. Since conditions vary from one district to another, it is very important to listen for mention of Northshore School District #417.
- FlashAlert.net - a self subscription to the Puget Sound Emergency Message System
- Our District Home Page
- Northshore School District Information Line (425) 408-6001 (a recorded message line)
- Your school's main phone number, when the voicemail service answers, press option "9"
- Our mobile app
EMERGENCY/INCLEMENT WEATHER MAKE UP DAYS
If emergency/inclement weather school closures occur, make-up days will be added to the end of the school year.
- What’s Happening This Week at Crystal Springs?-Week of Feb 24, 2020
- What’s Happening This Week at Crystal Springs?-Week of Feb 10, 2020
- What’s Happening This Week at Crystal Springs?-Week of Feb 03, 2020
- What’s Happening This Week at Crystal Springs?-Week of Jan 27, 2020
- What’s Happening This Week at Crystal Springs?-Week of Jan 20, 2020
- What’s Happening This Week at Crystal Springs?-Week of Jan 13, 2020
- What’s Happening This Week at Crystal Springs?-Week of Jan 06, 2020
- What’s Happening This Week at Crystal Springs?-Week of Dec 16, 2019
- What’s Happening This Week at Crystal Springs?-Week of Dec 9, 2019
- What’s Happening This Week at Crystal Springs?-Week of Dec 2, 2019
- December Note from our Principal
- Holiday Assistance 2019 - Community Resources.
- What’s Happening This Week at Crystal Springs?-Week of Nov 25, 2019
- What’s Happening This Week at Crystal Springs?-Week of Nov 18, 2019
- What’s Happening This Week at Crystal Springs?-Week of Nov 11, 2019
- November Note from our Principal